Saturday, February 9, 2008

The 4,000 Islands, Laos


The view from my bungalow just after sunset. Not bad for two dollars a night.


There is a pleasant tranquility on Don Det, an island on the Mekong in the south of Laos, that challenges even my delightfully cheeky brand of satire. No hassles and plenty of hammocks, you'd be hard pressed to get stressed out here.

Electricity and running water are scarce luxuries on this tiny island so we eat dinner by candle light and bathe in the blue Mekong and we wouldn't have it any other way.

I spend my days wrapped in a hammock and strumming a guitar, wondering how I might turn hammocking into a viable form of transportation. Traffic jams would be blissfully relaxing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fastinating. I'm now very busy educating my tiny part of the planet in the pronounciation of the word Laos.

Can't wait to hear more!!

Post a Comment